Saturday, May 17, 2008

What is Fern and why am I here?

If you are here you must have clicked a link from my blog over at alexmillsonline.blogspot.com or somehow come across this via your surfing :) Fern is my (Check my blog for more details on me) new and first cocoa project with the aim to build a full blown desktop editor for the blogger service, possibly for other services down the track. Fern is built from the blogger example included with the GData API. So why make another version of it? For a number of reasons. The sample is very simple and displays technical messages that the end user will think is jibberish and to get the app the user has to get the GData API, build the Xcode Project and most people wont want to do that. My aim is provide the functionality of Blogger with the advantages of desktop power such as offline editing. The version of Fern I'm using right now is 0.1, it basically represents eveything availiable in the google sample along with support for post titles as well as having a much nicer interface. The next version I want to have the title system working properly and a nicer text experience. Though I must note that other features will be built before advanced posting features such as fonts, links and images. Oh and by the way, what do you think of the name Fern??? Its the codename right now but I like it, I have a feeling I will change it to something more 'googlefied. Please note that this is no affliation with google. Please stay tuned as I will provide updates here (a good chance to test my program) and on my blog (which my program or the google program cant see????) as indicated above. And yes this was written with Fern! This is a good day :)

No comments: